Conflict Coaching and Mediation Online Training Course
Helping people respond to conflicts and challenges within themselves and with others.
This 6-9 month online training course in Conflict Coaching and Mediation is based in Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and the Mediate Your Life training program developed by John Kinyon and Ike Lasater
Next 6-9 Month Online Training Course: Starts September 2023.
See below for course description and application process.
This program is designed for people who have a solid ability with the Nonviolent Communication approach to feelings and needs vocabulary and the OFNR components, and 2 years or more of live NVC training and partner/group practice with the skills of empathy for self and others and of self-expression.
The program is geared towards people who want to offer conflict coaching and/or mediate conflict in some kind of formal way in the world, which includes as part of your role in your work or organization.
Program size is limited to 20 participants so there is more individual attention, support, and coaching from John as well as interaction with fellow participants. Apply below to secure a spot.
“John Kinyon is one of our trainers of Nonviolent Communication and someone in whom I have a great deal of trust and confidence. John in my experience has a special gift for facilitating empathic understanding and communication between people. I highly endorse John's skills and abilities with Nonviolent Communication, and I strongly recommend him to anyone needing help resolving a conflict situation.”
— Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D., creator of Nonviolent Communication (NVC)
"I highly recommend John Kinyon. In my session with him I had a wonderful healing and gained great relief. John gave me unconditional kindness and empathy. I gained compassion for my former spouse and the pain she suffered since childhood. I also gained compassion for myself, and I was able to become aware of my triggers and my part in the problems in our relationship. After the session, I felt like there had been chains holding me down, and now they were cut and I was free. That shift inside me led me to email my former spouse. She responded to me and we connected for the first time in 45 years! We had some resolution of our issues around our divorce many years ago. That resolution has affected our children and has brought relief and peace to the whole family." – Charles P
"Sometimes, it's not so much which framework is the "best", but rather ... how honestly, completely, willingly a facilitator embodies the framework's principles. For it is in that intimate journey of surrendering, and allowing one's humanity to be refined by the framework's essence, that true power lies. That, I find inspiring, and worthy of emulation. And this is what I witnessed how John showed up for every session throughout the 4-month virtual mediation training program I took with him. John's commitment to responding to our needs as learners, and the grace with which he expressed that need, was for me as a fellow facilitator, exemplary. A brief testimonial does no justice to describing the transformation that was seeded in the space of co-creation and discovery that John held for us. I may most honestly only say, "experience it for yourself!"
— Roslina Chai, Managing Director, Catalyse
"Nothing has enhanced my leadership effectiveness like John's training. I have integrated it into high stakes conversations such as contract negotiations, performance feedback, team decision making, conflict resolution, group facilitation and project debriefs. Connection has become the common thread that runs through my daily encounters. And from that connection arises a genuine spirit of collaboration that is central to the ongoing and dynamic process of creating something that works for everyone."
— Christine F, healthcare executive
"I am in awe of the process, and still holding this sense of "Wow" over what happened at the first mediation. I was worried about it too, something around my own confidence, and asked for some practice help beforehand, to role play it. I found that incredibly helpful too. It's so great to have other people to practice with!! And I have been asked to do ANOTHER mediation! If I do this one it will be #4. I'm in awe of these requests for me to mediate. It's like there's something miraculous happening. These mediations are dropping out of the sky onto me. I'm holding them so tenderly, and with deep gratitude to be part of this sacred process."
— Joan J
The Conflict Coaching and Mediation Program is now a 6-9 month program. All other information in this video is current.
What is Mediate Your Life Training?
The Mediate Your Life (MYL) training program and body of work was co-created and developed by John Kinyon and Ike Lasater beginning in 2002. In 2008, John and Ike started offering year-long programs first in the U.S. and then internationally in Australia, Asia, and Europe. The MYL work is based in Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and integrates a mediation framework, mindfulness, and neuroscience. At the core is a 5-step mediation model and 9 mediation skills. Over the almost two decades of development, this body of work has grown and developed to include pre and post mediation processes, a conflict coaching methodology and “maps” for helping people navigate inner and outer conflicts and challenges in their lives.
You’ll Gain The Ability To Help People:
- Understand and start using the OFNR communication components in a way in which there is ease, naturalness, and compassionate presence with themselves and others
- Learn the ability for self-connection in the midst of difficulty, being in empathic conversation, and building empathic community
- Transform anger and judgments of others into empathy and compassion
- Shift from anxiety and stress to calm and centeredness
- Prepare for difficult conversations, and use role play
- Work together with others to find creative and collaborative solutions
- By facilitating (mediating) conversations between people, using 9 mediation skills
- Heal and reconcile when there is emotional hurt and pain
- Resolve inner conflicts about the past or future
- Live happier, healthier, more resilient lives and experience more connection and well being
Philosophy of Money
The registration pricing is what supports my (John's) sustainability to continue offering this work in the world. However, because this work is for the wellbeing and greater good of humanity and the world, and because I want to support a monetary system based in giving and receiving, you can request to give a lesser amount if you cannot afford the tuition I'm asking. The more you give the more you will be supporting the work to grow and make a contribution to a better world. Thank you for wanting to be part of this work in the world!
6-9 Month Conflict Coaching & Mediation Online Training Course
Day and Time each week: TBD
Begins: Phase I (6 months) begins: September, 2023
Ends: June, 2024 (end of Phase II)
Weekly Live Group Session Duration: 2 hours
Start Time: TBD Pacific Time [California] (convert to my time zone)
TUTION FOR PHASE 1 OF THE PROGRAM
Tuition for Phase I of the course is $2100, which you can give monthly ($350/month). If you cannot afford this amount and want to be able to give less, you can request us to send you information on sliding scale options.
The more you give the more you will be supporting me to continue offering the work to all who want it, and you will be helping grow this work and the contribution it makes to a better world.
There are a certain number of spots available each program to give on the sliding scale.
Those who wish to continue on to Phase II can decide to do so towards the end of Phase I.
For any questions or requests, please email email@example.com.
This year is the 6th cohort of the online 9 month program. The roots of the program began in 2003 with the co-creation and development of the NVC-based Mediate Your Life body of work that has grown into an international conflict coaching and mediation training course. The structure of the online course is a 6-month learning phase followed by a 3 month deepening, integration, practicum phase. You can do the whole 9 months or just the first 6 month phase. There are weekly 2 hour live group sessions on Zoom video conferencing, written materials, audio/video recordings, handouts, and recordings of the live group sessions. There are daily and weekly practices to do in between the live sessions with yourself and others in the course and in your life.
See below about Learning Module/Topics for the course
Application for Admission into the Course
If you are interested in being a participant in the next cohort of the Conflict Coaching & Mediation online training course (starting September 8, 2022), click the button below to fill out the Application Form.
After you fill out the form, I will follow up with you. If it seems there is a good fit between your experience and goals and the program, I'll set up a conversation with you to discuss your participation further.
There are only spots for 20 participants, which may fill.
If you have questions or want to follow up, email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The coaching relationship — collaborative learning, leading/guiding/directing vs. following, process and content, ethics, empathic community, trauma and addiction
- Conflict coaching phases — Engagement Conversation, coaching agreement, foundation distinctions and skills, learning and applying the maps
- Sharing the foundation distinctions and skills
- OFNR (OFN, then R, for self, then OFNR for other)
- Self-Connection Practice (mindfulness, consciousness)
- Elements of Empathy for speaking and listening in conversation
- Solution requests, hearing and saying "no," Need Behind the No practice
- The business of coaching and mediating
- Preparing to Respond to a difficult situation (Enemy Image Process/EIP, 3 role-plays)
- Practicing to Respond to a difficult situation (Intensity Exercise, Connection, and Solution Requests)
- Having a Difficult Conversation (Interpersonal Mediation/IPM process, 3Chairs Process, role-playing)
- Debriefing for Resilience (Mourn Celebrate Learn/MCL process)
- Self-Compassion Mediation (Chooser-Educator/C-E process)
- Internal Family Conversations (Internal Mediation/IM process)
- Beyond Forgiveness (Healing & Reconciliation/H&R process) — making amends and healing role play
Mediation Maps and Skills
- 5-Step Mediation Model and 4-step Healing & Reconciliation (H&R) process
- 9 Mediation Skills (elements of empathy, connection requests, pulling by the ears, emergency empathy, tracking, interrupting, self-empathy, self-expression, solution requests, and agreements)
- Pre-mediation session(s)
- Post-mediation session(s)
- Mediator self-care