Mediate Your Life Online Weekend Retreat with John
Growing Empathic Community of Practice and Support to Respond to Our World of Conflict and Challenges: Living the MYL Maps and the Triad Model of Conversation and Consciousness
Saturday & Sunday July 24-25, 2021
10am-4pm PT each day
This weekend retreat is for people who attended a Mediate Your Life in-person workshop or who have done an Intermediate or Advanced online course with John.
What will we do at the online retreat?
Greetings folks from the MYL in-person intensives of the past and those who've done more advanced work with me online!!
I'm excited to share with you the new direction of my work with groups, communities, and organizations offering structures of empathic conversation. The training supports having the difficult and important conversations that open us into new connection and possibility. In the process people learn and deepen skills of empathic communication that integrate dimensions of mindful awareness, universal consciousness, wellbeing, and loving action in the face of difficulty.
As the backbone of this weekend I'll offer the group conversation process I've developed through my Across The Aisle group conversation work. Those attending this MYL weekend retreat can express meaningful topics or issues they would like to share about — personal, work, social-political-environmental. As people take turns expressing and being heard, I will periodically invite shifting into different Mediate Your Life maps (inner and outer) to go deeper into a particular situation that's arisen. We'll alternate between being all together in the big group and breaking into dyad, triad, and small group break outs.
Foundation Conversation Structures:
- Self-Connection Practice, an OFNR mindfulness practice and coping with challenge moments
- Intensity Practice, for practicing to respond with self-connection and compassion in intensity of difficulty and challenge
- Elements of Empathy, for speaking and listening in empathic conversation
- Need Behind the No, for responding empathically and compassionately when hearing a "no" from someone or when you are wanting to say "no"
Conflict to Connection Conversation Maps:
- 5-Step Mediation Model and 9 Mediator Skills, includes triad mediation practice, rotating through the roles of disputants and mediator, and giving and receiving feedback.
- Preparing to Respond with Compassion, to prepare yourself to respond with empathy and compassion toward someone when you are feeling anger or frustration and having negative judgments about them. [Enemy Image Process map]
- Recovering with Resilience, to recover and strengthen your resilience and debrief with empathy and compassion after you did something you fear will be seen as a "mistake" and you're feeling anxiety or stress about negative judgments towards you from others, loss of connection, or other negative consequences. [Mourn Celebrate Learn map]
- Self-Compassion Conversations, for when you feel anger towards yourself and have thoughts of self-judgment about a past choice, as well as perhaps feelings of fear, shame or guilt, and a disruption to your experience of play and joy. [Chooser-Educator map]
- Self-Direction Conversations, for when you are feeling fear, anxiety, stress about making a decision or moving in a particular direction in the future, and have thoughts of possible negative consequences and perhaps feelings of confusion, stuckness, indecision, depressed, and disruption to your experience of discovery and enthusiasm. [Internal Mediation map]
- Difficult Conversations with Others, for talking to someone when you are feeling trepidation or fear because there is disagreement around beliefs, lack of acceptance, and perhaps reactions of anger. [3Chairs Process for Difficult Conversations]
- Three Types of Agreements: main, supporting, and restoring
- Reconciliation, Healing & Forgiveness Conversations, for talking to someone when there are feelings of emotional hurt and pain in you and/or another person, and perhaps judgments of blame and feelings of anger. [Healing & Reconciliation map]
Details for the MYL Reunion Online Weekend Retreat
Format: 2 consecutive days
Begins: Saturday July 24, 2021
Ends: Sunday July 25, 2021
Daily Schedule [Pacific (California) Time Zone (convert to my time zone)]:
- 10am-4pm PT each day
- Morning session: 10am-12:30pm
- Lunch break: 12:30-1:30pm
- Afternoon session: 1:30-4:00pm
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Philosophy of Money
The registration pricing is what I (John) would like to receive to support my sustainability to continue offering this work in the world. However, because I see this work being for the health and wellbeing and greater good of humanity and all people, and because I want to support a monetary system based in giving and receiving, you can choose to give the amount you would like. Thank you for wanting to be part of this work in the world!
Participant Tuition for the Weekend
Below are some tuition options. Choose the one that's right for you, then click on the PayPal button further below.
- Requested base contribution + additional support for John's work + helping cover those with fewer resources who attend: $500
- Requested base contribution + additional support for John's work: $400
- Requested base contribution: $300
- Discounted rate: $200
- Scholarship rate: $100
When you make your payment through PayPal, please give your:
- Full name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Write "MYL Weekend July 24-25" in the Note section
Email email@example.com once you have made your tuition payment and we'll send you the link for the workshop resources page, or email if you have any registration questions.