Mediate Your Life Weekend Reunion Online Immersion Retreat with John
Deepening Empathic Community of Practice and Support to Respond to the Challenges We Face: Living the MYL Maps and the Triad Model of Conversation and Consciousness
October 22-24, 2021
Friday 6:30-8:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 9am-5pm
Pacific (California) Time
This weekend retreat is for people who attended a year or more of Mediate Your Life in-person training in the past (three or more 4-day intensives). Group size is limited to 15 participants, so don't wait if you know you want a spot.
What do we do at the online retreat?
Greetings folks from the MYL in-person intensives of the past!
I'm excited to share with you the current evolution of my work with groups, that still very much includes the MYL conversation maps for mediating and navigating inner and outer conflicts. The work continues to support having the difficult and important conversations that open us into new connection and possibility. In the process people learn and deepen skills of empathic communication that integrate dimensions of consciousness and language for wellbeing and compassionate action in the face of difficulty.
As the backbone of these reunion weekends I offer the group conversation process I've developed through my Across The Aisle group work. Those attending this MYL weekend can express meaningful topics or issues they would like to share about — personal, work, social-political-environmental. As people take turns expressing and being heard, I periodically invite shifting into different Mediate Your Life maps (inner and outer) to go deeper into a particular situation that's arisen. We'll alternate between being all together in the big group and going into dyad, triad, and small group break outs.
The intention of the Friday evening start and longer hours on Saturday and Sunday is to create an immersion and depth experience.
Foundation Conversation Maps:
- Self-Connection Practice, an OFNR mindfulness practice and coping with challenge moments
- Intensity Practice, for practicing to respond with self-connection and compassion in intensity of difficulty and challenge
- Elements of Empathy, for speaking and listening in empathic conversation
- Need Behind the No, for responding empathically and compassionately when hearing a "no" from someone or when you are wanting to say "no"
Conflict Conversation Maps:
- 5-Step Mediation Model and 9 Mediator Skills, includes triad mediation practice, rotating through the roles of disputants and mediator, and giving and receiving feedback.
- Preparing to Respond with Compassion, to prepare yourself to respond with empathy and compassion toward someone when you are feeling anger or frustration and having negative judgments about them. [Enemy Image Process map]
- Recovering with Resilience, to recover and strengthen your resilience and debrief with empathy and compassion after you did something you fear will be seen as a "mistake" and you're feeling anxiety or stress about negative judgments towards you from others, loss of connection, or other negative consequences. [Mourn Celebrate Learn map]
- Self-Compassion Conversations, for when you feel anger towards yourself and have thoughts of self-judgment about a past choice, as well as perhaps feelings of fear, shame or guilt, and a disruption to your experience of play and joy. [Chooser-Educator map]
- Self-Direction Conversations, for when you are feeling fear, anxiety, stress about making a decision or moving in a particular direction in the future, and have thoughts of possible negative consequences and perhaps feelings of confusion, stuckness, indecision, depressed, and disruption to your experience of discovery and enthusiasm. [Internal Mediation map]
- Difficult Conversations with Others, for talking to someone when you are feeling trepidation or fear because there is disagreement around beliefs, lack of acceptance, and perhaps reactions of anger. [3Chairs Process for Difficult Conversations]
- Three Types of Agreements: main, supporting, and restoring
- Reconciliation, Healing & Forgiveness Conversations, for talking to someone when there are feelings of emotional hurt and pain in you and/or another person, and perhaps judgments of blame and feelings of anger. [Healing & Reconciliation map]
Details for the MYL Reunion Online Weekend Retreat
Format: 3 consecutive days
Begins: Friday October 22, 2021
Ends: Sunday October 24, 2021
Daily Schedule [Pacific (California) Time Zone (convert to my time zone)]:
- Friday evening 6:30-8:30pm PT — Introduction, overview, and group connection
- Saturday & Sunday 9am-5pm PT – Working with situations in the whole group and in break outs
- Meal/rest break from 12:30-1:30pm PT
- Short breaks in morning and afternoon sessions
For any questions, please email email@example.com.
Philosophy of Money
The registration pricing is what I (John) would like to receive to support my sustainability to continue offering this work in the world. However, because I see this work being for the health and wellbeing and greater good of humanity and all people, and because I want to support a monetary system based in giving and receiving, you can choose the amount to give. Thank you for wanting to be part of this work in the world!
Participant Tuition for the Weekend
Please consider a sliding scale of $500-100. Below is a way to think about your giving.
Requested base contribution + additional support for John's work + helping cover those with fewer resources who attend: $500
Requested base contribution + additional support for John's work: $400
Requested base contribution: $300
Discounted rate: $200
Scholarship rate: $100
The more you give the more you are supporting me and this work in the world, and you are also supporting those who want to attend but cannot afford the higher end of the scale. Also, my experience is that the more you give the more you will feel committed to receiving as much as possible from the experience.
Group size is limited to 15 participants, so if you know you want to be there don't wait to register.
Choose an amount to give then:
email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you'd like to register and at what amount.