Conflict to Connection Conversations for the Life and World You Envision
12-Week Online Community Practice - Level 2 (Intermediate)
A triad model of conversation and consciousness that restores connection and creates new possibility
Learn 6 types of conversations (inner and outer) that build resilience with adversity and strengthen relationship, cooperation, and collaboration.
This Level Two intermediate online live session community practice is for people who have taken my Level One 8-week Foundations of Mindfulness in Conversation, or who have taken live trainings in Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and have been actively practicing for at least 6 months.
You’ll Gain The Ability To:
- Recover more quickly in the moment of a difficult interaction and remain more centered
- Deepen presence and connection in conversations and relationships
- Use language more skillfully in your interactions with people
- Cope better with stress, overwhelm, and inner conflict about the past and future
- Transform anger and frustration into empathic understanding for self and other
- Feel more confidence and skill having difficult conversations
- Bring your listening and empathy skills to a new level
- Express yourself more authentically and courageously, and with compassion
- Heal emotional hurt and pain between you and others, and experience reconciliation and forgiveness
- Develop empathic community of support and learning at this higher level
- Work together and collaborate better to discover creative ideas and solutions
Community Practice Content
The primary focus of this Level Two community practice is learning and practicing the triad "3chairs" model of consciousness & conversation and 6 types of conversations with yourself and others based in OFNR mindfulness and applied to situations of disconnection or conflict, in the context of developing empathic community. The practice is to return to mindful awareness, compassionate presence, and consciousness while in difficult conversations, inner and outer. There are also OFNR mindfulness practices and exercises from Level One offered to deepen and strengthen awareness within yourself and maintain it while in conversation. The program includes weekly 1.5-hour live group sessions on the Zoom video platform, ongoing self-practice and practice with people in the program, and access to written, audio, and video learning materials and resources, including books, handouts, and recordings of the live sessions.
What are Conflict to Connection Conversations?
In this 12-week Level Two intermediate online community practice, you will learn 6 types of conversations (inner and outer) for returning to empathic connection from disconnection, in the context of empathic community. At the core of this level of learning and practice is a triad model of consciousness & conversation for responding to conflict that integrates the experience of duality, nonduality, and the unconscious (e.g. dimensions of mind, inner parts, and spiritual connection). This structure helps you return to connection and compassion when you’re triggered into the brain’s Fight-Flight-Freeze, stress response system. Each conversation type is infused with Observation, Feeling, Need, Request (OFNR) mindfulness for moving through disconnection or conflict into connection and compassion. The conversation structures come out of the Mediate Your Life body of work and are associated with an empirically-supported model of emotion circuits and networks in the brain developed by affective neuroscience researcher Jaak Panksepp. In conjunction with the emotion networks there are differentiating patterns of thinking and evaluating related to each conversation type. There is a meta-level system of pathways through the different types of conversations. Also integrated with this approach is Richard Schwartz's Internal Family Systems (IFS) work.
6 Conflict to Connection Conversations:
- Preparing to Respond with Compassion, when you are feeling anger or frustration toward someone, and having negative judgments about them. [Enemy Image Process, Self-Connection Practice, Intensity Exercise]
- Recovering with Resilience, a conversation within yourself (or with the support of others) when you are feeling fear, anxiety, stress, including fear of loss/grief, after something has happened and there is known or imagined negative judgment or consequences toward you. [Mourn Celebrate Learn process]
- Self-Compassion Conversation, when you are feeling anger towards yourself, as well as shame or guilt, and have thoughts of harsh self-judgment about a past choice, and there is a disruption in the experience of play and joy. [Chooser-Educator process]
- Internal Mediation Conversation, when you are experiencing fear of loss/grief, as well as confusion, stuckness, indecision, depressed, about a future choice, decision, or direction, and there is a disruption in the experience of seeking and enthusiasm. [Internal Mediation process]
- Having Difficult Conversations, when there are feelings of fear in relation to having a conversation with someone, and there are thoughts of disagreement or lack of acceptance. [3Chairs Process for Difficult Conversations process, Elements of Empathy, EIP role play]
- Reconciliation and Healing Conversations, when there are feelings of anger and emotional hurt or pain in relation to someone, and thoughts of blame. [Healing and Reconciliation process]
Format: Live group sessions on 12 consecutive Wednesdays
Starts: February 26, 2020
Ends: May 20, 2020
Time: 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm PT (4:00 pm – 5:30 pm ET)
Price: $499.99 (can be given all at once or monthly, see below)
Early Registration Discount: Until Friday February 14 the early registration price is $299. Use coupon code LEVEL2EARLYBIRD. To give in 3 monthly installments (of $100) use coupon code LEVEL2EARLYBIRDPLAN in the Level 2 Monthly Installment payment box.
Questions: Email John
Space is limited to 21 people, so don't wait if you know you want to be part of this.
Click the register now button to begin the registration process.
Level 2 Course
Important Information: To participate in the group chat for this course and to have access to a 4Week Self-Guided Course on Mindfulness in Conversation, you can in addition subscribe to the Empathy & Mindfulness in Conversation online learning community, which is $9.99/month (and you can cancel at any time).
Philosophy of Money
The registration pricing is what I (John) would like to receive to support this work and my sustainability. However, because I see this work being for the greater good of humanity and all people and communities, and because I want to support a monetary system based in giving and receiving from the desire to contribute to one another's well being, you can email me and request to give a different amount if what I am asking does not work for you. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for wanting to be part of this work in the world!