Level 2 (Intermediate) 12-Week & 4-Week Courses
Empathic Conversation Maps to Restore Connection and Create New Possibility
Learn conflict to connection conversation maps (inner and outer) that build resilience with adversity, strengthen relationship and collaboration, open new creative possibilities.
NEXT 12-WEEK LIVE COURSE: Starts April 13, 2021, Tuesdays 1:30-3:00pm Pacific Time
NEXT 4-WEEK LIVE COURSE: Starts March 18, 2021, Thursdays 11am-12:30pm Pacific Time
Responding with Compassion and Resilience
Registration is at the bottom of this page, and is based in a giving model
The Level Two intermediate courses are for people who already have training experience with my (John's) Level 1 Foundations of Empathy & Mindfulness in Conversation OR other live trainings in Nonviolent Communication (NVC). I recommend that before registering for a Level 2 course you've been actively practicing OFNR-based empathic communication for at least 6 months.
Program size is 15 participants or less so that there is more individual attention, support, and coaching from me as well as interaction with fellow participants. Don't wait if you want to secure a spot.
Level 2 Courses Give You The Ability To:
- Recover more quickly in the moment of a difficult interaction and remain more centered
- Deepen presence and connection in conversations and relationships
- Use language more skillfully in your interactions with people
- Cope better with stress, overwhelm, and inner conflict about the past and future
- Transform anger and frustration into empathic understanding for self and other
- Feel more confidence and skill having difficult conversations
- Bring your listening and empathy skills to a new level
- Express yourself more authentically and courageously, and with compassion
- Heal emotional hurt and pain between you and others, and experience reconciliation and forgiveness
- Develop empathic community of support and learning at this higher level
- Work together better to discover creative ideas and solutions
Level Two 12-Week Course. The 12-week course provides the complete Level 2 content of the foundation and conversation maps for navigating situations of disconnection or conflict (inner and outer), tapping into the positive and transformative Power of Conflict. Level 2 builds on the mindfulness and language practices from Level One, deepening and strengthening the ability to maintain and return to awareness, compassionate presence, and conscious choice in relation to challenging situations.
Level Two 4-Week Courses. Each 4-week course focuses on just two of the conversation maps for the 4-week period. The rotation of the 4-week courses are the following:
- Responding with Self-Connection and Empathic Presence in Difficult Interactions. Self-Connection & Intensity Practice conversation maps. See description in Registration section below. Offered again in Fall 2021
- Speaking and Listening with Empathic Presence and The Power of Request. Elements of Empathy & Need Behind the No conversation maps. Offered again in Fall 2021
- Responding with Compassion and Resilience - When feeling anger towards another or fear of others' judgment. Preparing to respond to difficulty with compassion and recovering from adversity with resilience. Registration available now.
- Navigating Self-Compassion and Self-Direction - Moving Whole-Heartedly from the Past into the Future. Inner conversations for self-compassion and self-direction. Coming May 2021
- Having Difficult Conversations with Others & Reconciliation and Healing. Coming June 2021
All Level Two courses include: Weekly 1.5-hour live group sessions with John and a small group on the Zoom video platform, ongoing self-practice and practice with people in the program, and access to written, audio, and video learning materials and resources, including books, handouts, and recordings of the live sessions.
What are Conversation Maps?
The Level 2 intermediate online courses offer foundation and conversation "maps," with the OFNR empathic communication components and skills at the core, for returning to empathic connection, compassion, and new creative possibilities and solutions. The conversation maps help you navigate different territories of disconnection and conflict in your life, inner and outer. Learning and practice happen in the context of building empathic community of connection and support with others in the course and in your life. The skills and structures help you return to empathic connection when you’re triggered into the brain’s Fight-Flight-Freeze stress response system. A core aspect of this level of training is a Triad Model of Conversation & Consciousness that integrates and deepens dual and non-dual awareness practice and relationship with the unconscious (e.g. subconscious and superconscious dimensions of mind, inner parts). The conversation structures come out of the Mediate Your Life body of work and are associated with an empirically-supported model of emotion circuits and networks in the brain developed by affective neuroscience researcher Jaak Panksepp. In conjunction with the emotion networks there are differentiating patterns of thinking and evaluating related to each conversation type. Also integrated with this approach is Richard Schwartz's Internal Family Systems (IFS) work.
Foundation Conversation Maps:
- Self-Connection Practice, an OFNR mindfulness practice and coping with challenge moments
- Intensity Practice, for practicing to respond with self-connection and compassion in intensity of difficulty and challenge
- Elements of Empathy, for speaking and listening in empathic conversation
- Need Behind the No, for responding empathically and compassionately when hearing a "no" from someone or when you are wanting to say "no"
6 Conflict to Connection Conversation Maps:
- Preparing to Respond with Compassion, to prepare yourself to respond with empathy and compassion toward someone when you are feeling anger or frustration and having negative judgments about them. [Enemy Image Process map]
- Recovering with Resilience, to recover and strengthen your resilience and debrief with empathy and compassion after you did something you fear will be seen as a "mistake" and you're feeling anxiety or stress about negative judgments towards you from others, loss of connection, or other negative consequences. [Mourn Celebrate Learn map]
- Self-Compassion Conversations, for when you feel anger towards yourself and have thoughts of self-judgment about a past choice, as well as perhaps feelings of fear, shame or guilt, and a disruption to your experience of play and joy. [Chooser-Educator map]
- Self-Direction Conversations, for when you are feeling fear, anxiety, stress about making a decision or moving in a particular direction in the future, and have thoughts of possible negative consequences and perhaps feelings of confusion, stuckness, indecision, depressed, and disruption to your experience of discovery and enthusiasm. [Internal Mediation map]
- Difficult Conversations with Others, for talking to someone when you are feeling trepidation or fear because there is disagreement around beliefs, lack of acceptance, and perhaps reactions of anger. [3Chairs Process for Difficult Conversations]
- Three Types of Agreements: main, supporting, and restoring
- Reconciliation, Healing & Forgiveness Conversations, for talking to someone when there are feelings of emotional hurt and pain in you and/or another person, and perhaps judgments of blame and feelings of anger. [Healing & Reconciliation map]
DETAILS FOR THE LIVE COURSES
Details for the April 12-Week Course
Tuesdays, 1:30-3:00pm PT
This course gives you the complete Level 2 content of foundation and conversation maps for inner and outer conflicts and challenges.
Format: 12 consecutive Tuesdays
Begins: Tuesday April 13, 2021
Ends: Tuesday June 29, 2021
Weekly Live Group Session Duration: 90 minutes
Start Time: 1:30pm Pacific Time [California] (convert to my time zone)
To automate monthly installment payments use Level Two 12-Week Monthly Installment registration box further below.
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details for the March 4-Week Course:
Responding with Compassion and Resilience, Thursdays 11am-12:30pm PT
This course gives you practices and training in transforming anger towards another and fear of others' judgment, preparing to respond to difficulty with compassion and recovering from adversity with resilience. You'll learn how to develop and build over time the capacities, skills and abilities to practice this on your own and in dyad and triad partner practice. [Conversation maps: Enemy Image Process, Mourn Celebrate Learn process]
Format: 4 consecutive Thursdays
Begins: March 18, 2021
Ends: April 8, 2021
Weekly Live Group Session Duration: 90 minutes
Start Time: 11:00am Pacific Time [California] (convert to my time zone)
For any questions, please email email@example.com.
The courses are 100% guaranteed
Philosophy of Money
The registration pricing is what I (John) would like to receive to support my sustainability to continue offering this work in the world. However, because I see this work being for the health and wellbeing and greater good of humanity and all people, and because I want to support a monetary system based in giving and receiving, you can choose to give the amount you would like. Thank you for wanting to be part of this work in the world!
Steps for Registering for the 12 and 4 Week Live Courses
You can choose the amount you wish to give. I invite you to consider for the 12-week course a sliding scale of $499—$299, and for the 4-week course a sliding scale of $199—$99. I ask that you give as high on the scale as would feel good to you. You can also give outside of the scale, more or less.
The more you give the more you will be supporting me to continue offering the work to all who want it, and you will be helping grow this work in the world.
There are Registration Boxes below for one-time amounts of $499 (12-week) and $199 (4-week), and also for monthly installment payments at these rates. If you would like to give a different amount, see the Patreon and PayPal buttons further below for choosing what you would like to give, either one-time or monthly. Let us know if you're wanting other payment method options.
If you make your payment on PayPal or Patreon, afterwards send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us, and we will send you the link to the course Home page that gives access to the learning resources and all the information for the course.
Level Two 12-Week Course
Level Two 12-Week Course Monthly Payment Plan
Level Two 4-Week Course, March 2021: Responding with Compassion and Resilience
Intermediate Level Two 4-Week Course Monthly Payment Plan: Responding with Compassion and Resilience