Online Monthly Mediation Practice Group
with John Kinyon
Monthly Live Group Session Zoom Calls:
3rd Saturday of each month
10am - 12pm Pacific (California) Time
How to Attend the Live Group Zoom Sessions
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:
Zoom Meeting Link
Meeting ID: 827 7728 2833
Join by phone:
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +1 408 638 0968, or +1 646 876 9923,
Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 669 900 6833
+1 (646) 558 8656 or +1 (408) 638 0968
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference
If you're using Zoom for the first time, you can find more information about how to use Zoom HERE.
Being in Contact
Contact me any time with questions, requests, suggestions, by email: email@example.com, or text me on phone/WhatsApp: 1+ 415-710-2777. And here is a LINK to my online scheduling system.
Join the Slack group for the Advanced Training with me. Slack.com is a virtual platform that supports ease of connection, communication, and sharing between people in groups and organizations. I strongly encourage you to join our Slack group to connect with me and others in the course, as well as others who have done this training previously. On this platform you can share learning and experiences and work with practice partners.
- Click HERE to watch a VIDEO giving a brief orientation to Slack and sharing/interacting in the program community.
- Click HERE for the Slack invitation.
- Click HERE to get access to the Slack groupspace. [The URL for the Slack forum is: onlineconflic-mhf5000.slack.com.]
Empathy & Mindfulness in Conversation Online Community Platform (hosted by Mighty Networks)
I recommend you get the Mighty Networks app for you phone as well as install on your computer.
Mediator Skills - Themes For The Month
- August 21, 2021 — Solution Requests and Agreements
- September 18 — Elements of Empathy
- October 16 — Connection Requests
- November 20 — Pulling By The Ears
- December 18 – Emergency 1st Aid Empathy
- January 15 — Tracking
- February 19 — Interrupting
- March 19 -- Mediator Self-Empathy
- April 16 — Mediator Self-Expression
- May 21 — Solution Requests and Agreements
OFNR & General Handouts [click to open]
- OFNR Communication Components
- Needs and Feelings sheet
- Feelings vs. Faux Feelings sheet
- The Four Communication Choices
- Connection and Solution Requests
- Three Types of Agreements
- Empathic Conversation Structure handout (click HERE for video)
- Practice and Feedback
I highly recommend Sam Harris' Waking Up Course meditation app (mindfulness, nonduality, and neuroscience). It is subscription based, but I'll send you an invitation for a free month of the app. If you want to continue and can't afford the subscription all you need to do is email Sam's team and they'll give you a year for free, which can be renewed yearly. Here's the referral link to active your free month: https://share.wakingup.com/d10bdc090360.
Here are some other meditation apps I recommend:
- 10% Happier
- Insight Timer
- Simple Habit
Resources Related to Mindfulness, Meditation, and Consciousness
- Tim Freke - philosophy of "unividualism," emergent/evolutionary spirituality, integrates dual and nondual mindfulness, and science and spirituality
- Diana Winston - mindfulness teacher, UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center, spectrum of awareness practices
- Loch Kelly -- mindfulness and nondual awareness teacher. Simple, clear, practical language and instructions
- The Headless Way - a unique, Western-based way of accessing and practicing nondual awareness, originated by Douglas Harding, who wrote the book On Having No Head. In this tradition I recommend Richard Lang.
- Rupert Spira. Nonduality spiritual teacher. See YouTube videos. He also has a number of books, and there are essays and interviews on his website.
- David Whyte. Poet, author, speaker. The conversational nature of reality. Poetry and organizations. Authenticity, compassion and courageous conversations. I particularly recommend listening to David's talks.
- Francis Weller. Soul and grief work. He has written books, most recent book is Wild Edge of Sorrow. I highly recommend purchasing his audio programs, particularly the 10 session series Living a Soulful Life.
Trauma-related resources I recommend
- Sarah Peyton, book, Your Resonant Self. NVC, trauma, and interpersonal neurobiology, neuroscience. See Sarah’s website for guided meditations and to receive other learning resources.
- Kristin Neff, Ph.D., Mindful Self-Compassion program. Book: Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself.
- Richard Schwartz and Internal Family Systems (IFS), book, Greater Than the Sum of Our Parts, and a great audio with this title from Sounds True.
- Dan Siegal, interpersonal neurobiology, neuroscience, trauma, consciousness.
- Peter Levine, pioneer in the trauma field. Developed body of work called Somatic Experiencing.
- Gabor Mate. Trauma and addiction.
Learning Modules of the 6-9 Month Course
Building the Foundation
- Overview of conflict coaching phases — Engagement Conversation, coaching agreement, foundation distinctions and skills, learning and applying the maps
- The coaching relationship — collaborative learning, leading/guiding/directing vs. following, process and content
- Sharing the foundation distinctions and skills
- OFNR (OFN, then R, for self, then OFNR for other)
- Self-Connection Practice (OFNR mindfulness/awareness practice)
- Elements of Empathy for speaking and listening in conversation
Individual Coaching and Pre-Post Mediation Sessions
- Preparing for a Difficult Conversation (Enemy Image Process/EIP, 3 role plays)
- Debriefing for Resilience (Mourn Celebrate Learn/MCL process)
The 5-Step Mediation Model and the 9 Mediation Skills (see Section 3 in the MYL manual)
- Empathic listening/reflection in mediation
- Connection requests
- Solution requests and agreements
Individual Coaching: Difficult Conversations
- Practicing for a Difficult Conversation (Self-Connection Practice, Intensity Practice, Intensity Exercise, Enemy Image Process role playing)
- Solution requests, hearing and saying "no," Need Behind the No practice
- 3Chairs Process for Courageous Conversation
- Three Agreements -- main, supporting, restoring
More Mediation Skills
- Need Behind the No practice in mediation
- Pulling By The Ears
- Emergency First Aid Empathy
Individual Coaching with Inner Mediation Maps
- Self-Forgiveness (Chooser-Educator/C-E process)
- Inner Clarity and Moving Towards Dreams/Goals (Internal Mediation/IM process)
Last of the Mediation Skills
- Mediator Self-Empathy
- Mediator Self-Expression
4-Step Healing & Reconciliation (H&R) Process
- Healing role play
- Making Amends
- Mediating with H&R
- Conflict coaching phases — Engagement Conversation, coaching agreement, foundation distinctions and skills, learning and applying the maps
- Pre and Post Mediation
- Mediator self-care
- Empathic community
- The business of coaching and mediating (creating a website, marketing, etc.)